Sunday, March 29, 2009

Name this plant contest!



A few years ago my grandma called and offered me a start of a plant she had growing in her yard. It took me a few weeks (and a few reminder calls from grandma!) but I finally stopped by and dug up a little clump. Grandma didn't know the name of the plant but she told me that she had gotten her start from a home that she had lived in many years before. I'm ashamed to admit but I can't remember if she
said it came from her parents or grandparents or her in-laws. I wished I had listened more closely to grandma that day. She passed away last fall and I really miss her a lot. When I was little I remember going to her house and seeing the roses and bleeding hearts and snapdragons growing around her yard. We never had flowers growing at my house so it was a treat to see grandma's flowers. I think my grandpa actually planted most of it. I remember the roses the most because they were always so big and gorgeous. Grandma and Grandpa are gone now but I'm glad that I have the plant that Grandma gave me. Problem is...I have no idea what it is!
It's a low grower staying under 6" with white 5-petal flowers. It blooms throughout the summer with a big flush late in spring. It's a steady spreader; filling in nicely and making a nice underplanting for other plants. From the last picture you can see that even when not in bloom the foilage stays pretty and green. So I need some help from my garden friends. If you can identify this plant I will send you a nice start of it for your own garden. If you need more information to help with identification you can ask questions by hitting the 'comment this blog' link and I'll get back with you. Good luck!
***AND WE HAVE A WINNER! MY FRIEND, LORETTA, SAYS THAT THIS IS ANEMONE, SNOWDROP WINDFLOWER. I DID A QUICK SEARCH AND I BELIEVE SHE'S RIGHT. THANKS, LORETTA. I'M SO GLAD TO BE ABLE TO PUT A NAME TO THIS VERY SPECIAL PLANT BUT I THINK IT WILL ALWAYS BE CALLED 'GRANDMA'S FLOWER' TO ME! I'LL GET YOUR PLANT TO YOU AS SOON AS IT WARMS UP A BIT.

5 comments:

  1. Sure wish I could help you out with this one. But it sure is a beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could, but I cant ... cheers! ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it looked like an anemone. It's so nice to have plants in the garden that remind us of special people! I love the picture of your pond in the first post. I have a small pond too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn...I was going to guess anemone..got beat to it..LOL I just planted some pink anemone..sure hope they come in as lovely as yours..they look so happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete