Sunday, March 29, 2009

My favorite plant of 2008


My favorite plant last year was my 'Tiger Eye' Sumac. It had a pretty rough beginning. I picked it up in the spring of 2006 at Elsburys. Like most plants, it didn't do much that first year. In the early spring of 2008 it was only a couple of stubs sticking out of the ground. My dogs thought that I had planted them a chew toy tree and they worked it over pretty good. I guess they got bored with it and finally left it alone. Once it warmed up a bit I could see new growth coming on. It took off pretty fast; filling out nicely. I have it planted as a specimen plant just as you enter my back yard planting area. The color really catches your eye as you enter the area. It almost looks like it's lit up. The green is a brilliant, almost neon color. I used black mulch last year which really set off the color. I didn't have any trouble with pests which is a big plus. During the garden tour last year this plant got the most attention and had me wishing I had labeled it because I can't tell you how many times a visitor asked the name of it. Now, early spring 2009, it's back to being a few sticks coming out of the ground. Luckily my dogs haven't rediscovered it. I'm really anxious to see what happens with it this summer. Hopefully the old adage, 'The first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap' rings true for my sumac!

No comments:

Post a Comment